The battlefield of lead generation Internet marketing is littered with the corpses of failed campaigns — SEO campaigns that never got near Google page one, PPC campaigns that never produced positive ROI, email campaigns that never cracked the 1 percent open barrier, etc., etc., etc.
Why so much failure? Having fielded thousands of inquiries from dissatisfied, frustrated companies, we’ve identified seven of the biggest reasons why campaigns fail … when they might have very easily succeeded.
- No upfront research. “Ready, fire, aim” never works. Companies should conduct careful research upfront, to craft strategies that take into account crucial variables such as keyword demand and competitive position.
- Poor agency vetting. Finding the right agency for your needs is paramount. Unfortunately, companies often make the wrong choice, basing their decision on a cool presentation, attractive price or too-good-to-be-true promise.
- Impatience. Some campaigns don’t die; they just get a premature burial. SEO and email in particular often take months or even a year to bear fruit. However, the fruit can be pretty sweet for companies that have the patience to keep tending the field.
- Inadequate budgeting. You get what you pay for. A lot of companies expect first-page organic position on Google with a $500-a-month budget. This is a lot like believing in magic.
- Using the wrong KPIs. Common example: basing SEO success on sales rather than online lead generation. SEO can generate the lead, but has no control over what happens to the lead down the line.
- Delaying internal changes. If a company drags its feet adding website content, or updating website functionality (e.g., becoming mobile-friendly), online campaigns limp along, sputter, wheeze and then die.
- Hands-off attitude. Today’s online marketing REQUIRES client involvement — for strategy, content and campaign modifications in particular. Why is this the case? Because technology and best practices change in a heartbeat, and because customization is the key to success.
Are you looking for a better way to generate leads online? Please contact us now. We can help you.