Being a writer and working with writers, I’ve learned one thing: Writers are quirky. Like baseball players, writers have a certain pregame routine; strong preferences for dress and equipment; and unique approaches to the craft that get major league results.
How do you like to write? Please share in comments — you may help a writer improve his or her game! Here are my main work habits.
- I never, ever listen to music while working — way too distracting. I can concentrate on only one thing at a time, if that.
- Love my simple keyboard. The minimalist elegance of this keyboard reminds me of what I am trying to create.
- Life is good with my 27-inch, 2560x1440 monitor. Being able to keep several items open and visible on the screen is a big help on assignments where I need to refer to research data, publisher guidelines, wireframes, design templates, etc.
- Early mornings, 5 to 9, is when I am most alert and creative, so this is when I tackle assignments demanding a highly creative approach and/or involving complex ideas.
- Cannot, will not and must not begin writing without a very large cup of very black, dark roast coffee deskside.
- Comfortable clothes help me focus, since I am easily distracted by tight collars, uncomfortable shoes or any sartorial annoyance in between.
- I don’t like to work on multiple assignments at the same time. Preferable is to start one and finish it, in one stretch of writing, if possible.
Over to You
How do you like to write?