Retail Web Design Company
The online marketplace is crowded. Annual global online retail spending has hit the $1.6 trillion mark. In the United States, total online sales has reached $360.3 billion a year, and that number figures to nearly double in the next five years. There are more than 12 million e-commerce stores online, and almost every major retailer has an online presence of this type. Yet, of those 12 million online stores, hundreds of thousands make less than $1,000 a year. This means that many retail and e-commerce websites fail to convert traffic into sales.
Without the right website design, traffic to an online retailer will fall flat, never converting into effective sales. Understanding the most important components of an online retail site and working with a credible retail and e-commerce web design agency will help ensure that a site is effective at generating sales.
Creating an E-Commerce Website Design That Works
The ultimate goal of an e-commerce or retail website is to sell products. That means every aspect of the website’s design needs to focus on funneling visitors into a purchase choice, and leading them to make the decision to purchase. Some design components that can be effective in helping to achieve this goal include:
- Searchable product catalog — Some visitors will know exactly what they want when they arrive at the site, so a large, easy-to-find search box is important. A retail and e-commerce web design company can help ensure that the search feature works well and returns good results for the website’s visitors.
- Brand consistency throughout the site — Every page needs to consistently reflect the store’s brand to avoid confusion among visitors.
- Clear, detailed imaging — People need to see what they are buying, and clear images of the products for sale will persuade more people to make a purchase. Images should highlight the products and their key features to help drive more sales.
- Mobile-friendly features — Many online retailers fail to make their websites mobile-friendly. If visitors who are on a phone or tablet cannot easily navigate or purchase items they want, they will click away and find a merchant that better accommodates mobile access. Responsive website design and a web-based storefront that is compatible with mobile is essential.
- Usability best practices — Retail and e-commerce stores must adhere to website design and usability best practices. Features such as colors, fonts, font sizes, intuitive navigation and fast page-load times are all essential to ensuring visitors are comfortable and stay on the site long enough to make a purchase. This is where a retail and e-commerce web design firm can be of assistance.
- Simple navigation from home page to checkout — To transform more site visitors into customers, a retailer’s website must be easy to navigate. Locating and updating the shopping cart must be simple. If a customer cannot easily make a purchase, the retailer will lose sales.
To learn more about our retail and e-commerce web design services, call Straight North at 855-883-0011 or request a quote online.