Ecommerce SEO Services
Selling stuff online? You know you need to rank at least on the first page of Google, if not in the top three spots, for as many search terms as possible related to your products.
This is critical because the top organic listing for any search gets the lion’s share of clicks, and most users never even see the second page.
You probably know enough about SEO to realize how crucially important keyword selection is — at least enough to consult with an e-commerce SEO firm if analytics isn’t your forte. But what else do you need to know about SEO to ensure your site generates the kind of sales you want to see?
User Friendliness: Tops for E-Commerce SEO
We could get all technical on you (and being a top e-commerce SEO company, we LOVE getting technical!), but even more important than the geeky details is to keep this principle in mind: it’s all about user experience.
Not only does Google favor practices that make it easy for the user, but user-friendliness will show up big time in your numbers. Is your site converting the way it should? Fix your user experience issues, and it very likely will.
Here are some of the top SEO actions you should be taking if you want to seriously boost your e-commerce site’s user experience — and its profitability — this year.
Request A Free Consultation
10 Top SEO Tips for E-Commerce Websites
- Make your site mobile-friendly. Over half of all Internet traffic comes from mobile devices. If users can’t navigate your site, guess where they go? (Hint: not to your checkout page.)
- Make sure your pages load fast. Online shoppers do have an attention span, but it’s very, VERY short.
- Make sure your home page — and every page — links to your products. Sometimes people land on pages that aren’t sales pages. Make it easy for them to shop!
- Structure your URLs to be user- (and search engine-) friendly. Incorporate product names and keywords.
- Generate a LOT of content. Six out of 10 online shoppers will research a product online before they buy. Building a library of informational pages related to your products as well as blog posts gives them the information they crave and puts you on their radar screen when it’s time to buy. It also generates fresh content, which search engines love.
- Encourage product reviews. Adding a review app to your website allows your shoppers to research without leaving the site, and makes your site interactive, which users love. It also adds fresh content to your site without your having to lift a finger.
- Avoid duplicate content. Google hates it, and it can degrade the user experience. If your website has duplicate content that is difficult to remove, make sure to use canonical URL tags, which tells the search engines to consider multiple URLs as one page.
- Use 301 redirects for expired products. Deleting a page also causes the value for any links pointing to that page to be lost and could result in broken links on your site as well as frustrated users. Make sure to implement a 301 redirect from your deleted page to its product category page.
- Build high quality backlinks. Google regards links from other sites as a sign of authority, so get as many as you can — but ONLY ones from quality sites that are related to what you offer and deliver value to their users. A great way to do this is guest blogging, which takes time but is an awesome way to get other people’s audiences to come to your site. You’ll need to offer helpful, well-written content. If this is a challenge for you or you don’t have time to seek partnerships, a good e-commerce SEO agency can be an invaluable ally in getting you the backlinks you need for a profitable site.
- Use a balanced mix of anchor text. As you build links, make sure that you use your brand name in the anchor text as well as keyword-rich text. You will want to have a strong branded anchor text base before starting to introduce some percentage of keyword-rich anchors.
Of course, these tips are just a small sampling of the many things you can do to improve the user-friendliness (and SEO power) of your site — but they’re enough to give you a leg up on it. Try implementing them and see how high you can get your sales to jump!
To learn more about Straight North’s e-commerce SEO services, call us now at 855-883-0011 — or request a quote online.