What Are SEO Techniques And Tips?
Basic SEO Tips
It’s always good to start with the basics, the things you must get right in your SEO campaign no matter how well you do everything else. Five basic search engine optimization tips you cannot survive without:
- Invest in thorough keyword research. Choosing the right keywords is paramount in driving traffic and getting conversions — the latter being what you’re really after. Keyword research takes into account search volume, competitiveness, buying intent, relevance and other factors.
- Assign a website page to each primary keyword. Companies often make the mistake of trying to drive all organic traffic to the home page or an interior page “optimized” for several semi-related keywords. Those are poor SEO techniques. Much better is to have a unique page — usually a product or service page — dedicated fully to the main product or service keyword associated with it. Google will see those pages as being highly relevant to searches for that product or service, and move them up in the rankings.
- Track and validate all leads. If your SEO campaign seeks lead generation, then you must track all phone leads and website form submissions originating from organic search. This requires setup beyond what Google Search Console or other analytics platforms provide. Beyond tracking, lead validation is needed to separate true leads from non-leads, which comprise about half of all conversions. Failing to convert makes accurate campaign evaluation exceedingly difficult and impedes efforts to improve the SEO campaign.
- Make your website responsive. Mobile-friendly websites get favored treatment from Google, which makes sense considering more people access the Internet from mobile devices than from desktops. A responsive website — one that adjusts automatically for optimal viewing on any size screen — not only improves rankings, it also improves conversions. If people have a poor experience of your site on a mobile device, they are unlikely to inquire or order now or later.
- Resolve your website’s technical SEO issues. Launching an SEO campaign on the back of a shaky website is bound to fail. Anything on your site that makes it hard for Google to crawl your site and interpret your site’s content must be corrected. Typical problems include poorly written title tags, duplicate content, improperly executed page redirects, broken internal and external links, slow page loading and no HTTPS.
Advanced SEO Techniques
Here are seven important SEO tips to help you separate yourself from the pack, to get ahead of the competition in organic rankings and drive more leads or online revenue.
- Write persuasive Meta descriptions (snippets of text that appear below the link in Google’s search results) to tantalize search engine users into clicking on your links.
- Use structured data to create Rich Snippets, which are basically Meta descriptions with visual elements and special formatting that make them even more enticing to search engine users.
- Use your website’s blog to optimize long tail keywords — keywords with lower search volume but high probability of converting.
- Make your blog a conversion machine. If your blog ranks for long tail keywords, you may see a great deal of organic traffic coming to the blog. Thus, blog visitors must have an easy and enticing route to inquiring or ordering. Your blog should have attention-getting calls to action and links to the appropriate inquiry form, phone number and/or product/service page.
- Polish your website content until it outshines the competition. Google crawlers are getting very good at evaluating content quality. Just because a web page has the right keywords does not guarantee success. The content must be free of grammatical errors, easy to read and scan, and written for the appropriate reading level.
- Get a big-time link. Link building is a major part of SEO focused on improving your site’s inbound link profile. Inbound links are a major ranking factor for Google, and having a link from a high-profile website is worth its weight in SEO gold. Marketing an original, well-written, well-researched article or reporting truly newsworthy developments in your organization are two ways of earning such links.
- Make website URLs intuitive and as simple as possible. URLs that contain numbers, symbols and other confusing elements confuse site visitors and diminish their overall experience of your website. That kind of URL won’t help your SEO, either. As with most things, website design and content that appeal to humans also appeal to search engine crawlers.
To discuss how to improve your SEO in more detail, contact us now or call 855-883-0011.